Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Giving and Receiving

On Monday, I left work feeling bad about myself because of my own personal actions.  My para had been pulled to work as a substitute in another classroom and so on top of being tired, I was frustrated.  I had a student who was also having one of those days and she needed extra cuddles but I couldn't.  I always thinking and reflecting so by the end of the day I realized that I should and could have handle the situation better.

What I realized was that I most likely needed the cuddles more than she did.  I needed the hug more than she did.  I was already tired when starting my day and then everything else seemed like so much more.  The next day, when I came to school, I apologized to the child and I gave her a nice big hug and told her how much I appreciated her.

What I learned is in the lesson of giving and receiving.  Initially, I thought that she was taking from me.  That her needs were going to be a burden on me.  But really, I was the recipient, and she was the giver.  God knows that life is hard and so he places people in your life as buffers.  They understand how you feel and know when to respond.  So from now on, when I have students who need a little hug, I'll make sure to take it because it could be that I actually really need it more than that child.

No comments:

Post a Comment