Tuesday, January 3, 2017

You Would Not Believe My Day

Today has been a day.  As a teacher, today was my first day back to work after being home for Winter Break.  It was quick but relaxing at the same time.  Last night, I stayed up late working on lesson plans I have completed plans for January 3rd until January 17th.  If I get inspired today, I will also have plans for at least until the 24th and if I'm really ambitious through the 31st.

I digress...

This morning I wake up, I'm trying to get myself in a positive mindset.  Overall it's working.  I get to work at 6:40, walk into my room and I see my furniture out of place.  I'm like okay that's fine they did some cleaning over the break, it's cool, I'm early.  I'll put my lunch away, print my lesson plans, and then I'll fix the furniture before the children get in.  Before I leave I notice my blinds, that are in the area where my furniture was moved, are not the way I left them before the break.  I pull up my blinds and find.



I leave out to go find someone to talk to but the Principal isn't there yet.  I go back inside to find.


I was so shocked but I didn't let it get the best of me instead I just told myself just go on ahead and copy your lesson plans.  So I go to the copier and the red light is on and the message for service is on.  Okay, fine, I'll just go to the teacher next door and print to her classroom, that shouldn't be a problem.  It wasn't.

I go back to my classroom and the principal is inside surveying the damage.  She tells me to keep the children away from the carpet, use the tables fine.  So I'm looking over the plans and trying to find out what I am going to do.  She comes back and says okay you need to combine with the other prekindergarten teacher.  So I sit there and I try to figure out what I needed to be ready to take my students into the classroom next door.  I can't figure anything out so I just go next door and try to settle in.

The other teachers in that room are asking me how we were going to do it.  I was just like we're going to wing it because our classrooms have not been set up for 22 students, even though technically that makes one full class.

All in all, I'm still feeling happy, hopeful, a little shocked but mostly I'm concerned for the people  children who did this.  One thing I will say is that they have a good arm, they should look into baseball because they have to be throwing fastballs or curveballs.  But if they find the children, what will the outcome be?  Will they be suspended? expelled?  For me, it's a double-edged sword.  These children clearly need some attention, help, and support.  Schools should be a pillar of the community, a place to cherish and value but instead, it was vandalized.  Even when things happen that shouldn't we should be able to provide some sort of support to these students.

No comments:

Post a Comment